Design Ten Eiffel Tower Facts You Need To Know

Discussion in 'Retro, Vintage & Classic Forum' started by Petra, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Petra

Petra Active Member

You cannot possibly visit Paris and not see the Eiffel Tower. You will see the top of this iconic 1,063 ft. structure all over Paris. Here are some facts you probably didn't know.

1. The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 World's Fair and was not intended to be permanent, but only for 20 years

2. The Eiffel Tower shrinks six inches in winter

3. The Eiffel Tower was repainted 18 times

4. You need to climb 1,665 steps to get to the top

5. The elevator in the Eiffel Tower travels 103,000 kilometers per year

6. It took builders two years, two months and five days to build the Eiffel Tower

7. In 2007 a woman named Erika 'married' the Eiffel Tower

8. The Eiffel Tower was the tallest structure in the world for 41 years

9. The original plan to built the Eiffel Tower in Barcelona, Spain was rejected

10. Over 250 million people visited the Eiffel Tower. About 7 million every year.

Were you one of them? Or do you want to someday?

hd-wallpaper-of-eiffel-tower.jpg

Andrew Boerner and Bram like this.
  2. Petra

Petra Active Member

I was one of the 250 million people who visited the Eiffel Tower. Actually, I've visited it twice. And it never gets old or dull. It's such an iconic structure (and I really loooooove Paris) so I'm thinking about visiting it soon again. My children have never seen it yet, they have been to France but not Paris, and they would really get a kick out of going to the top with the elevator(s). I think 1,665 steps is just a bit too much for me them.

I was on the Tour Montparnasse last year. A giant skyscraper with a great view over Paris. I was there at night so you could see the Eiffel Tower light up. It looked like this, very spectaculair!

Eiffel_Tower_from_the_Tour_Montparnasse,_1_May_2012_N3.jpg

jon turner likes this.