World Events Summer of '69

Discussion in 'Retro, Vintage & Classic Forum' started by Petra, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Petra

Petra Active Member

What was so special about the summer of '69 other than Bryan Adams writing a song about it? Well, it was quite the eventful summer and listed below are a few memorable moments.

June 3 | Last episode of 'Star Trek' airs
    In this last episode titled "Turnabout Intruder," one of Captain Kirk's former lovers steals his body.

June 8 | Nixon and Vietnam
    President Nixon and South Vietnamese President Nguyen Van Thieu meet at Midway Island in the Pacific. At the meeting, Nixon announces the withdrawal of 25,000 U.S. troops effective immediately.

July 20 | Moon landing
    "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". Famous words said by Neil Armstrong, the man who set foot on the moon for the first time in history, later followed by crewmembers Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins.

August 9-10 | The Manson murders
    Charles Manson and his "Family" -Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel, Charles "Tex" Watson and Leslie Van Houten - killed seven people, including pregnant actress Sharon Tate. Manson was the mastermind behind a bizarre plan to kill and start a race war. They all were sentenced to death row but this got commuted to life imprisonment in 1972.

August 15-18 | Woodstock
    Almost 400,000 people show up at a farm in Bethel, New York, for three days of Peace and Music with legendary acts like Jimi Hendrix, the Who, the Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin.

moonlanding apollo 11.jpg

2. Jeff Lasecki

Jeff Lasecki New Member

How come my 6th birthday didn't make the list:)

Petra likes this.
  3. Andrew Boerner

I was 8 years old, and had my first girlfriend. That changed MY world big time. ;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Petra likes this.
  4. Petra

Petra Active Member

Andrew Boerner likes this.