Style/Fashion Marilyn Monroe

Discussion in 'Retro, Vintage & Classic Forum' started by Petra, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Petra

Petra Active Member

Norma Jean Baker's start in life was anything but glamorous. She overcame growing up in foster homes, never knowing who her real father was and having a mother suffering from a mental illness. However, she became one of the worlds most enduring and celebrated icons: Marilyn Monroe.

In 1926 she was born in the charity ward at the Los Angeles County Hospital as Norma Jeane Mortenson. Gladys Baker, Norma Jean's mother, was mentally unstable and not fit to take care of a child so little Norma Jean was put in foster care. She endured violence and abuse which led to very disturbing behavior later on in life, like drug abuse and hyper sexuality. At the age of sixteen Norma Jean was left alone by her family and her caretaker at that time, her aunt Grace, thought it would be a good idea if Norma Jean was to marry her high school sweetheart Jim Dougherty so she wouldn't have to return to an orphanage or foster home. Jim accepted the offer and the two got married in 1942. A year later Jim went to war as a Merchant Marine and Norma Jean began working at an aeronautical plant, spraying airplane parts and checking parachutes. A photographer visited the plant one day and made some photo's of the woman working there. He took some snapshots of the pretty brunette and told her she should register at a local modeling agency. The agency however were looking for models with lighter hair, so Norma Jean bleached her hair and became a platinum blonde.

Soon she was the agency's most successful model and casting directors picked up on the new girl in town. After a screentest for 20century Fox Norma Jean was offered a six month contract which she signed. Her name was changed to Marilyn Monroe, a name with more flow and sophistication than Norma Jean Baker and a legendary star was born. She divorced Jim Dougherty in 1946 and from that time on her focus was on becoming an actress, like Jean Harlow and Lana Turner.

Her acting career didn't really take off until the 1950s. She wasn't considered star material at first but her comedic skills, breathy voice and hourglass figure made her into a very wanted actress. It weren't just her looks though. She later proved the critics wrong by winning a Golden Globe award for her part in 'Some like it hot'. After a series of roles in movies where she was portayed as a 'dumb blonde', Marilyn wanted more serious parts and moved to New York where she took on acting lessons.

Even though Marilyn was very successful and famous for her looks and sex appeal, her insecurities where still at an all time high. All she really wanted was to have the unconditional love from a man. After some brief relationships she appeared to have found happiness with legendary baseball player Joe DiMaggio in 1956. DiMaggio didn't want his sexy wife to star in movies, he was very jealous of the attention she got and word got out he was abusive. When Marilyn took on a part in the movie ' the Seven year itch' and shot the sexy skirt flying scene, five thousand people watched the shooting of that clip. Unfortunately Joe DiMaggio was one of them. After the shoot he waited for Marilyn to return to their hotel and he took out his rage on her. It was the final straw for Marilyn and she divorced DiMaggio after only 9 months of marriage.

Even if you haven't seen the movie, you probably have seen the photos of the dress blowing part. Marilyn Monroe and co-star Tom Ewell exit a movie theater and the wind from the subway passing below lifts Marilyn’s skirt. Instead of covering her legs Marilyn says, “Isn't it delicious?” The whole scene didn't actually make the movie, because of the noise the 5000 spectators made. It made most of the 40 takes not usable. After editing a brief part of it is shown on screen. The famous white dress Marilyn wore was sold in 2011 for $ 5,6 million dollars at a Californian auction.

Marilyn Monroe dies in 1962 after what is to believed a drug overdose. She was only 36 years old. She will be remembered as one of the world's most popular sex symbols of all times. But she will be remembered for her tragic life too.

Marilyn.jpg

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

~ Marilyn Monroe~

2. Petra

Petra Active Member