Other Hundred year old Century Chest opened

Discussion in 'Retro, Vintage & Classic Forum' started by Petra, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Petra

Petra Active Member

On April 22nd, 1913 a timecapsule, or Century Chest, was entombed in the basement of an Oklahoman Church with the promise of the congregation that it would not be opened for a century.

The 8 feet long Century Chest was buried by the Ladies Aid Society of the First Lutheran Church in Oklahoma City. It started out as a charity project to raise funds for the purchase of a new pipe organ. Excitement and enthusiasm took over and it soon became a citywide project and later on even people across state wanted to participate. They really thought about what people a hundred years later would want to see and therefore included, for that time, some cutting edge technologies.

Exactly hundred years later, on April 22nd, 2013 the chest was opened. The gathered crowd was amazed when they saw which artifacts were in the chest. Amongst the treasures found were the following items:
    • A well preserved Kodak camera with the negatives in it
    • A Phonograph and three voice recordings
    • A Desk Pioneer Telephone
    • Indian pottery
    • Railroad map of Oklahoma
    • A daily Oklahoman newspaper
    • A book of family pictures and poems from Virginia Sohlberg, who was the mastermind behind the project
    • Numerous letters to descendants
    • Coffee
    • A signature quilt
    You can find a list of all items found here! All artifacts will be preserved by the Oklahoma History Center and is now on exhibit.

If you could fill a timecapsule today, what should definitely be in it?

letters.jpg

Bram likes this.
  2. Bram

Bram Active Member

Love these historic events as I can imagine how exiting people must be to unwrap those packages and check whats inside them.

Coffee would've been my first pick as well for a time capsule journey and of course a Big Mac in a paper bag as the receiver can eat it without a problem in a hundred years :)

Petra likes this.
  3. Petra

Petra Active Member

I probably would put a receipt of my local grocery store in it. I would buy the items that almost every household uses nowadays like milk, bread and coffee.

4. jon turner

jon turner New Member

I would love to develop the negs and see what is on them.

Petra likes this.