Gadgets/Toys First Train Set

Discussion in 'Retro, Vintage & Classic Forum' started by Warren, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Warren

Warren Member

Every young boy must have had a train set, maybe mine was older than most here, but I'll bet you loved yours the same.
    I grew up in the era of Clockwork Trains (yep no electricity needed back then), but it was always reliable. It just went round an almost circular track, but I spent hours with it. You should have seen the grin on my face when I opened that Christmas present.

[​IMG]

Nowadays, I've reverted to my past love of trains with Train Simulator TS2014 on my PC. The graphics are great, the variety of addon trains / routes / scenarios is huge, the attraction is still there but somehow it's not quite what I remember from my childhood.

Does anyone else remember their first trainset?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Andrew Boerner and Bram like this.
  2. Bram

Bram Active Member

Yes I do. I got a basic Märklin set for Christmas back in 1980(?). We celebrated the holidays at my grandparents house.

The inevitable happened of course. Gramps totally hooked on the train set and everything needed to move upstairs at my grandparents house where he had a spare room.

Within no time grandpa took over the whistle, signs and the trafo and a new junior senior train driver was born haha.

Not very surprisingly at every birthday I got extra train stuff, which of course had to move directly to the train room haha. So I was basically facilitating the old man's hobby. Must admit he made quite a landscape out of it and I have spent numerous hours behind the "wheel".

But then already I was more into speed I think as it was my goal to race those trains as fast as I could, resulting in some epic crashes due to the trains constantly de-railing. Grandpa wasn't happy with that so under his watch I was the friendly driver, the moment he left the room I became TheStig :D

Below the model I loved the most (powers :D). Must have been from the Deutsche Bundesbahn.

Marklin DB.jpg

Andrew Boerner and Warren like this.
  3. Andrew Boerner