Movies Dirty Dancing

Discussion in 'Retro, Vintage & Classic Forum' started by Petra, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Petra

Petra Active Member

Well, I don't mind saying it. I've watched Dirty Dancing about 20 times. I know every song from the movie. I can quote any line. But why?? The storyline is quite predictable, to say the least, and the actors are okay but not really spectaculair. What is it that makes me want to watch it over and over again?

I think the movie isn't only about the dancing, the music and about the love and lust of teenagers, but it is more than that. In the movie it is never actually said out loud but when you pick up a few hints than it is obvious that Baby, who is the main female character, is a rich Jewish girl. And her infatuation with working class Johnny, who is Irish, is a definite no-no. In the early sixties this was a big problem. You had to keep up appearances, especially when you were on the good end, meaning the rich end, of the bar. Throughout the movie this comes back over and over. How is this nowadays? Is it really accepted when you 'down date' or is this still an issue? It also strikes the point that you can do and be anything you want if you set your mind to it. Baby couldn't dance, but she learned. The hard way! Practice really can make perfect.

That is what Dirty Dancing represents for me. That you shouldn't be judgemental just because someone is different. And you set your goals, set them high, and go for it.

Oh, and of course I LOVED the phenomenal dancing. Maybe I should practice what I preach and start with the dancing lessons.

Bram likes this.
  2. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa Member

Guess what? You can watch it again tonight on RTL8 :)

Petra likes this.
  3. Petra

Petra Active Member

Thanks for the heads up! (I totally have the Ultimate DVD Collection with cd's and posters...just in case it isn't on TV every month)

4. Bram

Bram Active Member

[​IMG]

Marcel vd Aa likes this.
  5. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa Member

ROFL

6. Warren

Warren Member

Petra, you must have a lot in common with my wife, she loves those dancing musical movies. She watches them over and over.
    She is a huge fan of Dirty Dancing, and also this one, which was similar. Both follow a similar pattern, flimsy story but great dancing with support music leading to a signature finale song.

Bram likes this.