Sports Best sports moments of all time

Discussion in 'Retro, Vintage & Classic Forum' started by Bram, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Bram

Bram Active Member

In this thread you can hail the ancient heroes of sports. Describe your favorite sports moment of all times.

In the comments below please emphasize a bit more on your selection. Why this particular sports moment made such a big impression? Don't forget to add a nice video or descriptive image.

Curious to see all those great sports moments from the past.

2. Bram

Bram Active Member

My best sports moment dates back from June/July 1988 when our national football team of the Netherlands won the European Championship with a legendary team of players.

After losing the opening match against the Soviet-Union with 1-0 coach Rinus Michels made some changes to the team line-up resulting that all of a sudden the vibes were there to start a winning streak that lasted all the way to the finals in Munich beating the same Soviet-Union with 2-0 with goals from Ruud Gullit and Marco van Basten.

The road to the final saw victories against England and a nail biting win in the dying seconds against the Republic of Ireland with a legendary header goal of Wim Kieft.

This victory opened the way to the semi-final against neighbours West-Germany and this match was the "real final" for many Dutchies. This match finally ended the bad memories between the two countries (Second World War & The lost world cup final in '74).

The game was dominated by striker Marco van Basten who played an epic game and lifted himself from a great talented striker to an all time national hero and a heroic goalie Van Breukelen.

The moment I'll never forget was the euphoric celebration in our capital Amsterdam when the team returned home and took a canal tour by boat witnessed by 1 million insane people that had the best day of their lives.

Netherlands 1988 European Football Champions.jpg

Marcel vd Aa likes this.
  3. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa Member

Ahhhh, the good old days :)

4. Warren

Warren Member

I'll add a little international (ok Aussie) flavor.
    Undoubtedly, the greatest sporting achievement in Australian sporting history was the winning of the Americas Cup, breaking the longest domination of an event in sporting history.
    Amazing, not just because it was the little downunder nation stealing it from the mighty USA, but due to the typical Aussie come from behind win when all looked lost.
    Best explained in this video:

Marcel vd Aa, Petra and Bram like this.
  5. ML2166

ML2166 New Member

6. mystaaRS

mystaaRS New Member

Manchester United 2-1 FC Bayern Munich
    26 May 1999
    Amazing comeback for United that year, where they won the Treble. Its just an Epic last minute comeback from two goals down, to win the UEFA Champions League. They couldn't have done it more dramatically.

Andrew James likes this.
  7. Andrew James

Andrew James New Member

That season, the 3-3 draws with Barcelona were pretty epic too. And in the FA Cup Giggs scored an absolute cracker of a goal, made even sweeter by the fact it was against the then-rivals Arsenal, with 10 men. Swansea are my first team, but I do also root for United (unless they are playing each other :D) as I couldn't really watch much of the Swans on TV when I was growing up. I will never forget the '99 season, I can still recall most of the first team squad from memory. Jesper Blomqvist anyone :D?

Bram and mystaaRS like this.
  8. Bram

Bram Active Member

Sad to see how far Man Utd have fallen when you compare the last two years to the team of the late 90s.

A team that was so determined to win. (Stam :D)

mystaaRS likes this.