Other Amelia Earhart - 'Adventure is worthwhile in itself'

Discussion in 'Retro, Vintage & Classic Forum' started by Petra, May 20, 2015.

1. Petra

Petra Active Member

Amelia Earhart was the first female solo aviator to cross the Atlantic Ocean. Born in Atchison, Kansas, on July 24 1897 and growing up in Chicago with her mother and younger sister Muriel, she knew she wanted to become a pilot as soon as she left the ground for her first plane ride.

Amelia took up nursing first, after she met some World War I soldiers at school. They had been hurt in battle and after nursing school she worked in a soldiers' hospital for several years. Her parents split up when she was a little girl, but got back together in 1920 and moved to California. To be with them, Amelia moved to California too. It was there Amelia's father bought a ticket for $10 and let Amelia take a 10-minute plane ride over Los Angeles. “As soon as we left the ground, I knew I myself had to fly!" she later wrote.

Amelia worked hard to gather the money to take up flying lessons with Anita Snook, a pioneer aviator. Soon after she succeeded, she bought her own plane nicknamed " the Canary".
    In 1927, Amelia was thirty years old at that time, Charles Lindbergh was the first person to fly across the Atlantic solo. Adventure stories did well by the public and soon the idea arose to bring in a woman pilot. A year later she became the first woman passenger to fly the Atlantic, in a plane piloted by Bill Stultz. He was the commander on the flight and she didn't handle the plane at any stage. She wanted more. Four years later she was the number one woman in American Aviation. After her marriage to George Putnam the two started preparing for her first solo flight across the Atlantic. On May 20th, 1932 Amelia set off from Harbour Grace, Newfoundland to land in Derry, Ireland 14 hours later. She was the second person ever to make that flight.

In June 1937 Amelia set out to fly around the world with her navigator Fred Noonan. A dangerous journey, no one ever attempted before. They took off from Florida and made their way to New Guinea. After taking off there the US Coast Guard lost contact with the plane. After 22,000 miles of flying they disappeared without a trace.

In 1991 pieces of a Lockheed Electra, the plane Amelia and Fred flew, were found at Nikumaroro, a tiny island between Hawaii and Australia. It took investigators until 2014 to identify the fragments found to be from their plane.

Amelia-Earhart-plane-found-submarine-tourism.jpg

Warren, Bram and Knut Omdal Tveito like this.